Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How does being in a greek orginization positively influence the actions in daily life?

Through further browsing I came across an article called positives hidden by greek life stereotypes by Rebecca Jamrozi in The Lantern an Ohio State University paper. It expresses how only the negatives of "greek life" are brought to the surface. To clear up a major stereotype that fraternities and sororities are the same... they aren't. There are a lot of differences between the two besides gender, but yet they always get grouped together when being described. Both groups believe in the same ideas however fraternities and sororities are quite different in the ways they achieve them. Members or possible pledgies must maintain a minimum of 2.5 or higher to join or stay a member. Many sororities also have mandatory study tables to help members who need to improve in their studies or to improve the study skills of members who have poor study habits. This has proved to be quite beneficial to women in sororities since their grades are higher than most of the other womens' averages of OSU, probably something very few people know.As well as grades being a positive aspect among greeks another positive about them is that sorority houses are not permitted to have alcohol on their properties. When you have parties with alcohol at your house, it is very hard to keep things from being damaged or destroyed. This is one of the reasons why sorority houses are more appealing to look at compared to some fraternity houses on campus. (The Lantern)

Jamrozik, Rebecca. "Positives hidden by greek life stereotypes." The Lantern 9/22/00 05/08/2008 .




4 comments:

Diera said...

I agree with some of the things that are said about the differences between fraternities and sororities. sororities are better and safer than fraternities because with fraternities they get to do more explicit things that can be very dangerous. Sororities are just very cautious about what goes on and how they present themselves.

Diera Ester

RODNEY RAINEY said...

I think that both greek organizations are very good for many young kids to get into.It keeps many youth today out of trouble and harms way.

Jessica said...

i think being in a greek organization is a good thing for teenagerst o do becasue it keeps hem out of trouble. i mean like it accupies therer time and gives them something to look forward to do. being in a greek organization gets you more involved in the community and thats always a good thing.

AlphaChiBuckeye said...

Good afternoon! What things can happen when you google search your name! Hi, I'm Rebecca Jamrozik, the woman who wrote that article in OSU's Lantern eight years ago. Funny enough, I was looking for another article I wrote and that's when I ran across your blog.

Eight years after I wrote that article, I'm still involved in Greek Life. I worked for my national sorority, Florida Southern College, South Florida, John Carroll and now Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. I was able to obtain my master's degree in education, meet many young people from throughout the country, and do something I love- advising fraternities and sororities. I'm positively influencing my Greek students every day! Please let me know if I can help you with any questions you have about Greek Life. I'll frequent this blog in case you have any questions!

Rebecca Jamrozik
Director